Wednesday 6 July 2011

Bath and Stonehenge

We set out yesterday on the tube for Paddington Train station.  We arrived early and the kids were entertained by a booth set up to promote the British "hockey" team.  Thomas had some lessons in the art of field hockey.  After trying the sport and reading a little about it in the booth, he can admit that ice hockey isn't the only Real Hockey there is--so a good learning experience for him!
We checked into our hotel in Bath and here is the view from our window.  The relaxed atmosphere of Bath is a stark contrast to the busy London pace.  On the walk to meet our tour bus we came across a patisserie sampling mille feuilles--it was our lucky day!!!
Our walk to the tour bus was interrupted by the university convocation.  After the ceremony at the abby they continue the procession through the cobbled streets winding back to the school.  This was the first time I felt a little regret about not going to convocations for either my undergrad or my masters degrees (Go ahead Barbara--yes you did tell me I should go to my graduation or I might regret it).  Maybe I will have to get another degree so I can walk the stage in cap and gown.

While not the best part of the trip for me.... Thomas really enjoyed our tour of stonehenge.  You will notice in the picture we were pretty much the only people there.  We got off the bus just as a torrential downpour hit.  It only lasted about 15 minutes, but was enough to soak us all (even though I caved and bought the 2 pound rain cape).  It is very interesting and you can see why it is one of the seven wonders... it does make you go "hmm".
Onto the best part of Bath: the shopping.  I don't know officially--but Bath  must have the most shops per capita.  However, I learned the hard way NOT to window shop in the late afternoon and then go back for your purchases after you eat.... everything closes at 5:30.



Thomas took some pictures around town and this is a picture of a pig.  Thomas explained to us "that there was once a pig who had rough skin and was owned by some king who had leprosy and when they went into the Roman Baths both skin conditions were cured"  He had read about that legend once and was happy to see the pig.  We didn't actually get in to tour the Baths because we ran out of time.  All in all we had a great time in Bath and even thought about extending our stay....

4 comments:

  1. Wow you covered a lot in a day. Bath looks interesting, sorry I missed it while I was there. Good excuse to go back, right Linda, although you have already been there I think. That double decker custard mille feuille looks yummy and you didn't even have to go to Paris to get it. Good for you Thomas to know the history of the pig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanno re graduation convocation, I would say I told you so....however.....
    Your hotel room looks really nice and spacious. Loving the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, Great job on the blog writing and photos are great too! Looks like you had a great stay in Bath in spite of the quick down pour. I'm looking foward to your next adventure!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that Mille Feuille looks so good, I'm jealous. I loved Bath and would certainly go back again. Shannon the pics are great and the sky is so blue it's hard to tell it was raining. I love the blue pig too, I did not know that story about it.
    Michaela looks like she is getting right into that fashion magazine she is reading.

    ReplyDelete